Located in a National Register of Historic Places Neighborhood, known as the Five Points Historic District, the recently restored Victorian Inn known as Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast has been a prominent home in the Birmingham community for 108 years.
The home was built in 1898 by the local tax collector, Mr.Bingham, and was his private residence on Nabob Hill, the high status neighborhood on the hill overlooking the young City of Birmingham below. From about 1910 to the 1940's, it was the home of Felix Tarrant, a prosperous Dentist and businessman, for which the City of Tarrant, Alabama (near Birmingham) was named after him. During the 1940's the home became a Sunday School for the Methodist Church and also a Parsonage. During the 1950's, it became a boarding house.
In 1972, a rear appendage not original to the house was removed when the property was converted to a retail ballet apparel shop and professional office building with an import-export operation, a realtor and Kaplan academic test coaching center. During the 1990's, it became the site for 5 massage therapists, 3 marriage counselors, 1 realtor and 1 law firm.
Then in December 2003, it was purchased by Ira and Sheila Chaffin and restored back to its Victorian splendor during the creation of the Cobb Lane Bed and Breakfast. Eight bathrooms were added as moldings and original details were lovingly restored. Necessary fire-life safety code improvements were added as well as cosmetic enhancements. The result is an Inn that has received a coveted "Preservation Award of Excellence" in 2005 by the Birmingham Historical Society.
Send Message to listing owner
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.